Independence Day is around the corner and as we approach the holiday weekend, The Westtown-East Goshen Police Department would like to remind everyone about the current fireworks laws.
The new law for consumer grade fireworks is as follows: Title 72 Section 9404 - Use of Consumer Fireworks (a) Conditions - A person who is at least 18 years of age and meets the requirements of this article may purchase, possess, and use consumer fireworks.
(b) Prohibitions - A person may not intentionally ignite or discharge:
(1) Consumer fireworks on public or private property without the express permission of the owner.
(2) Consumer fireworks or sparkling devices within, or throw consumer fireworks or sparkling devices from, a motor vehicle or building.
(3) Consumer fireworks or sparkling devices into or at a motor vehicle or building or at another person.
(4) Consumer fireworks or sparkling devices while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, or another drug.
(5) Consumer fireworks within 150 feet of an occupied structure.
Section 9414. Penalties.
The following shall apply:
- A person using consumer grade fireworks in violation of the provisions of this article commits a summary offense and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $100.
We hope that you all have a fun AND safe holiday weekend!