General Safety Tips
- When to Dial 911 & What Happens (only dial in true Emergencies):
- You don't need money to dial 911 from a pay telephone.
- The operator sends the police, paramedics, or fire department.
- Make sure bicycle tires are properly inflated.
- Check the bicycle's brakes every time before going for a ride.
- An adult should properly adjust the bike to fit the rider.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing.
- Have working lights on the front and the rear of the bike.
- Be sure to wear a helmet while riding a bike (children under 12 years of age MUST wear a helmet - It's the Law!).
How to Fit a Helmet:
- Look for helmets that are snug, level, and comfortable.
- Helmets should fit as low as possible on the head.
- Foam pads inside the helmet can be adjusted for comfort.
- One to two finger-widths should fit between the chin and the helmet chinstrap.
- Wear helmets, knee and elbow pads.
- Ride on smooth surfaces.
- Do not ride if it is dark outside!
- Don't talk to strangers, and NEVER get into a strangers car.
- While playing with your friends, stay in places where your parents or guardian can see you.
- Decide with your parents the safest route to go to school and your friends' houses.
If you find a gun, DO NOT TOUCH IT! Do not let your friends touch it. Leave the area immediately. Tell your parents or guardian.
Follow this link to learn more about protecting your kids around guns.