Frequently Asked Questions

You can mail your request to:

Records Clerk
Tredyffrin Township Police Department
1100 DuPortail Road
Berwyn, PA 19312

In your request, include a self-addressed stamped envelop and a check or money order for $15 made payable to Tredyffrin Township. Also include the date of the accident or incident, location, incident number and/or name of the complainant or operator of the vehicle.

Processing time is generally three to five working days. You may also stop at the Tredyffrin Township Police Department to pick up your report Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please call (610) 644-3221 with your request so the report is available upon arrival.

Parking tickets and alarm violation bills can be paid by mail or in person at the Tredyffrin Township Police Department between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

For parking tickets, call (610) 408-3221. For alarm ordinance violations, call (610) 408-3608 or email

Our District Courts schedule all hearings. You may contact them at the following locations, depending on where the incident occurred:

District Court 15-4-01
Judge Analisa Sondergaard
500 Chesterbrook Boulevard
Wayne, PA 19087
(610) 647-6533
Visit Chester County's District Court 15-4-01 website.

District Court 15-1-02
Judge Thomas Tartaglio
15 N. Devon Boulevard, Suite A
Devon, PA 19333
(610) 254-8072
Visit Chester County's District Court 15-1-02 website.

The Victims Compensation Assistance Program helps victims and their families through the emotional and physical aftermath of a crime by easing the financial impact placed upon them by the crime. As a victim of crime, you will always be treated with dignity, compassion and respect when being assisted through the victim’s compensation claim process.

You may be eligible to receive financial help from the Victims Compensation Assistance Program for a variety of expenses, such as, medical and counseling expenses, loss of earnings, loss of support, stolen cash, relocation, funeral, or crime scene cleanup.

The best way to file a claim is with the help of a victim advocate at your local Victim Service Program. Or you may file a claim yourself online. If you choose, you may download the victim's compensation claim form, complete and submit to the Victims Compensation Assistance Program.

If you have already filed a victim’s compensation claim and have a claim number and PIN, you can check your claim status online.

You may also contact the Victims Compensation Assistance Program directly at (800) 233-2339 for assistance in filing a claim or to speak to staff that are available to answer your questions.