RISE IN CATALYTIC CONVERTERS THEFTS
This week WEGO PD had taken multiple reports of incidents involving catalytic converters being cut and removed from the undercarriage of vehicles. The suspect(s) appear to be targeting local apartment complexes along West Chester Pike, in both Westtown and East Goshen Townships, during the early morning hours, between 3:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
REQUEST FOR PUBLIC VIGILANCE & ASSISTANCE!
- We are asking members of the public to call 9-1-1 and report any suspicious activity that may appear to be an individual(s) damaging or removing parts from parked vehicles.
- We remain dedicated to protecting the vehicles and property of our community members, as we always have, and hope to stop these thieves before they victimize you or another person.
WHAT SHOULD YOU LOOK OUT FOR?
- Thieves often arrive to the area and park their vehicle in close proximately to a victim vehicle, crawl underneath the undercarriage, remove the vehicle’s catalytic converter, and are gone in a matter of seconds.
- Thieves tool of choice is commonly a battery-powered reciprocating saw or “sawzall”, which can create a loud vibrating and cutting noise.
- Thefts commonly occur during the overnight to early morning hours, but are known to occur during the daytime hours as well.
- Parking areas of apartment complexes and condominiums are often targets due to the increased number of vehicles in a small area.
WHY CATALYTIC CONVERTERS?
- Various vehicles, including commercial and passenger vehicles, have been targeted for their catalytic converters which are often sold or scrapped because they contain high-value platinum.