Safe Shopping Tips:
The next time you visit a shopping center, take a few minutes to observe the shoppers. Watch how they go from store to store, or how they browse the shopping center. Most shoppers are totally consumed by their thoughts and appear to be thinking about what they are going to do next. Watch as they approach their cars, fumbling for their keys. They will turn their backs and attention completely from those nearby to load their shopping bags into their car, and to get children and infants into their vehicle.
Here are a few basic Safe Shopping Tips for you to remember:
- BE AWARE! Scan the area for suspicious people before parking and exiting your vehicle.
- Trust your instincts! When they tell you something just doesn't look right, it probably isn't.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Always lock your vehicle when it's unattended.
- Whenever possible, travel in groups.
- Have your keys ready when going to your vehicle.
- As you approach your vehicle, check under and around it for anything suspicious.
- Don't open your vehicle doors or windows for strangers.
- When carrying your purse, have the strap over your shoulder, close to your body, and make sure the purse is closed.
- Never leave your purse laying on a counter or in a shopping cart.
- If possible, carry cash, credit cards, and wallets in your front pants pockets.
- While walking, make eye contact, keep your head up high and walk with a confident stride.
- When shopping for a long period of time, make a few trips to your vehicle with your purchases so as not to be overwhelmed with packages. Lock all your packages inside the trunk of your car.
- Carry a cell phone. This will allow you to call for help if needed.
- If you are approached by someone and you need help, scream "FIRE"! This will scare the possible attacker, plus draw a crowd.
- Immediately report any suspicious people or incidents to shopping mall security or to the police.